Monday, August 16, 2010

Raw Vegan Pesto w/Tofu Noodles

So, today I went to the market with the express purpose of making pot stickers, because my life is oh so interesting (it's ok, judge me) and for some inexplicable reason I look FORWARD to making pot stickers. That reason is actually, if you could not guess, me having no life.

I was very sad to find out that the wonton wraps I was going to use had egg in them. So, picking myself up from my deflated moment of blatant self-pity and potential wrath (damn you, eggs, damn you all) I saw something else cool.

I love spending way too much time in grocery stores and unearthing random food products and today I found Tofu Shirataki, a noodle made by blending tofu and the Konnyaku plant. What the fuck is that, do you say? It is sometimes referred to as a yam, and looks like this:



It has a gelatin-like property, and is used to make jellies. It's popular in Asia!

Thank you, Asia!



So anywho, it's vegan, gluten-free, and comes in a bunch of different pasta "styles." The kicker really was it being only 20 calories per serving! Well, I declare! That means you can load it up with delicious home-made pesto.

If you buy this, make sure that you rinse the noodles thoroughly and then microwave it for about a minute. It'll get rid of the 'fishy' smell it has - and it really does have this bizarre smell until you zap it. That's what he said. Holy shit, I just realized this looks like a vagina AND smells fishy, seriously that is gross, but at the same time, too much of a coincidence to ignore.

Raw Vegan Pesto
1 cup walnuts
1 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
6 gloves garlic, minced
2-3 cups packed basil
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)






-I used walnuts in my pesto because pine nuts are too much effing money. You can also use almonds, they work really well.



-Just process all ingredients and top your fav pasta, or store in refridgerator.



Word.


Edit. Note: I just noticed on the Tofu Shirataki website it calls the fishy smell of the noodles before microwaving the "authentic aroma" bwhahaha. Riiiight.

No comments:

Post a Comment