Friday, August 6, 2010

Vegan Banana Bread

I had a bunch of rotting bananas on my counter and I knew if I didn't do something with them, it would be a waste and that would make me sad. So I was looking up recipes for vegan banana bread and I found this awesome recipe on The Post-Punk Kitchen website. This is honestly the best banana bread I have ever had. This was my reaction after tasting it:

I changed a couple things to suit my tastes, but you can find the original here by Isa. It's just effing excellent. It's driving me ... crazy. Hahaha, see what I did there? I was leading on like I was going to type "bananas."

...but I didn't.

n_n

Vegan Banana Bread
adapted from Isa

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup of vegan margarine
4 ripe bananas
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp cacao nibs
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
walnuts, to taste

-In my opinion, it was the allspice and walnuts that made this whole recipe. I added maple syrup instead of white sugar, so that means you'll have to cook it for a little bit longer. Also, I opted for almond extract - it gives a cool flavor to this light, fluffy, cake-like bread. I choose to put in cacao nibs, because bananas and chocolate = win.

-First, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Allow to sit for 5 mins to curd.

-Next, mix all ingredients, including almond milk mixture, EXCEPT the walnuts, in a large bowl, mashing up the bananas well so there are no large pieces.


-Grease a 8x5 bread pan with margarine and sprinkle walnuts over the top of the batter.



-Leave in the oven for approx 70 minutes, and then eat that mofo.

No comments:

Post a Comment