Sunday, August 1, 2010

Vegan Strawberry-Basil Scones

So, I was perusing the blogosphere and came across Carla from Canada's brilliant blog The Year of the Vegan . Everyone knows how much I love Canada because Wolverine comes from Canada. And that's where I found this fucking awesome recipe. TWO more reasons to love the True North.



As usual I made changes to suit my preferences but her original recipe can be found here and it's amazing.

Vegan Strawberry-Basil Scones

1 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbspn strawberry jam
1 tbsp light agave
3 tbsp canola oil
2 tsp strawberry extract
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup strawberry, diced
2 tbsp basil, packed


-First mix almond milk and the apple cider vinegar together. Let curd for 5 mins.



-Cut up strawberries and set aside.



-Add the jam, agave, strawberry extract and oil to the almond milk. Whisk this bitch together.



-Mix in the flours, the baking soda/powder and salt. The batter will be tough. After you do that (pick it up, what are you, part turtle?) fold in the basil.



-Fold in the strawberries! 1 cup is kind of a lot and the original recipe calls for 1/2 cup. I love strawberries so, if you're really devoted like me, you'll work that dough until they all fit in. Aw yeah, like that baby.



-Put these puppies on parchment paper, the oven set on 375, for approx 17-20 mins.



-And then you're done! This is a pretty easy recipe altogether, even for me, and I have the IQ of a volcanized rock.


3 comments:

  1. "Put these puppies on parchment paper" - no wonder Taz is concerned when you are playing with the oven.

    I love what you are doing here and I am trying to decide which recipe I will cook first. These scones look like no matter what I do, right or wrong, I will end up with something that looks like the photo.

    Did you use all wheat flour? Or a wheat/white mix?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link and the shout out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammi: I use 100% stone ground whole wheat flour. Usually King Arthur brand or Hodgson Mills. For this recipe specifically I added in 1 1/2 cups King Arthur stone ground White Whole Wheat flour - it has a softer, smoother, more 'white-flour' like consistency. I wanted the scones to be smooth and soft, without the sometimes grainy texture of 100% whole wheat recipes. If you don't have White Whole wheat, just use regular white flour. :)

    Carla: You're very welcome, I love this recipe! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete